Saturday, January 26, 2013

01/24/13 - Day 30 - Souvenirs

Update as promised:

Today was our last full day in Jamaica so we planned a quick trip in the morning to Ochos Rios to go see Dunn's River Falls.  This waterfall is the shit.  It's one of the most popular attractions in Jamaica and we were told by one of the attraction guides that we must see it before we left.  It was super fun.  We pretty much disregarded everything that anyone told us we needed to buy for the falls and just went for it.  The tour guide said we needed water shoes and we did not.  The tour guide said we had to wait for one of the falls climbing guides and we did not.  We went renegade up the waterfall with no water shoes and no tour guide and it was awesome. 

I thought it was weird how the climbing guides demanded everyone hold hands as they go up the waterfall.  It seemed far more dangerous than just going in a straight line.  The falls climbing guides were also taking video and pictures and getting everyone to yell Jamaican phrases the whole time.  It may have been the perfect thing for a family but I was happy we avoided them. 

The resort we were staying in had invited in several vendors to sell their items and had clearly asked them not to push too hard for sales.  It seemed like the vendors were all adept at handmaking the stuff that they sold.  I bought some souvenirs (wooden turtle, Jamaican sweatbands, etc.) for a few different friends from an older gentleman.  I also got my wife a handmade hair clip made from a coconut.  Pretty awesome.

I was blatantly made fun of by the bartender at our resort.  I don't really like drinking while I'm in the sun all day so I kept getting really fruity frozen drinks.  One I really liked was called The Big Bamboo.  It was mostly strawberry and it was a pink frozen drink.  I knew it was girly and didn't give a shit.  The bartender gave me a weird smile after I ordered a second Big Bamboo and then asked me if I knew what The Big Bamboo meant. 

I was ordering the drink named after a huge cock.  Oh well.

Money spent so far:  $114.65

No comments:

Post a Comment