Sunday, January 13, 2013

01/13/13 - Day 19 - Superhero coloring books and tattoos

Today was a good recovery day.  I could have used a day like today yesterday.  Spent time cleaning up the house and doing laundry and trying to stay warm inside.  The outdoors is entirely covered in ice and I really didn't want to leave the house.  I did need to leave the house for a couple things though and I was able to sneak in an unexpected act of kindness. 

I left to go with my brother to get some Subway before he had to leave.  I am not normally a fan of Subway but I did have a coupon and I am poor.  The lady at the counter looked pissed.  She clearly didn't want to be working.  I offered a smile and was as pleasant as I could possibly be.  I think I actually forced her to smile.  I normally wouldn't have given a shit about a woman being pissed to be at work.  But since I've been trying to be a nicer person I now take it as a personal challenge to make a random stranger smile.  It doesn't always work out as well as it did with the Subway lady.  It's also neat to see an ugly person with a frown become an attractive person with a smile. 

During my drunken debacle on Friday I managed to leave my phone at a friend's house.  I had to leave in a hurry on Saturday so I didn't get a chance to pick it up until today.  I thought that I may have overstepped my bounds and been too loud, too grabby, too drunk, too insane on Friday so I wanted to do something nice for her and her family.  While I was running some errands I picked up a Marvel Superheroes coloring book ($1) and Spider Man fake tattoos ($1) for her little boy that is obsessed with super heroes.

When I got to her house she said that she hadn't even known anything was going on and I didn't disturb anyone.  She may have just been being nice and not wanting me to feel like a dick.  I gave her the gifts to give to her son.  She said he is really into coloring right now so he will love them. 

I also was able to deliver some chocolate peanut butter pie and banana cream pie to my wife.  Very important husbandly duty, not really an act of kindness though because I got to eat some of it. 

Money spent so far: $77.63

No comments:

Post a Comment