Tuesday, January 8, 2013

01/08/13 - Day 14 - Women's Rights (free)

I'm working with the Human Rights Watch website again today.  Here's the link:

Human Rights Watch

They have automatically generated letters that you can send out for a whole range of issues and a few really struck me.  A couple of days ago I sent one to President Obama about land mines and today I sent one to my state congressional representatives regarding women's rights.  Specifically the International Violence Against Women Act.  I'm not going to try to get into the details of the Act or anything but if you are interested in what the website has to offer go to this link:

Take Action To Stop Violence Against Women

I have a strong physical reaction when I hear about violence against women.  My head starts to hurt, I feel nauseous and sweaty.  I don't know why this happens to me but I'm pretty sure it's just because I get angry about it.  The deplorable and inhuman ways that women are treated in some parts of the world makes me feel like there isn't any good left.  Like there are whole sections of the human population that are sociopathic.  To lack the level of empathy required to refrain from sexual violence on a fellow human being has to be sociopathy because it's either that or pure fucking evil.  Either one makes me sick and any action the US government can take to prevent further violence against women should be encouraged.  So that's why I signed and sent the form letter. 

This is such a small act.  It feels pretty weak but it is more than I have done in the past and hopefully enough people will write to affect some real change. 

In other news...

There is another awesome job that has opened up.  A Conservation Associate position within a local Stewardship Alliance.  They are a local nonprofit organization that promotes sustainable agriculture in the community.  For the past year I have been trying to get involved in whatever way possible in the local agriculture community.  I was able to actually work on a sustainable farm this past year and it changed everything about the way I view food.  I am very passionate about this issue but unfortunately I am also woefully under qualified for the position.  I applied anyway and hopefully my enthusiasm can make up for my lack of experience. 

Money spent so far:  $68.89

No comments:

Post a Comment