Saturday, January 12, 2013

01/12/13 - Day 18 - Rails to Trails

I am going to update this further tomorrow because I am traveling away from home all day.  Also had to steal a buddy's phone to update.   More details to follow.

So as promised here are the more details to follow. 

I knew that I would have to squeeze today's anonymous kindness in between a very busy day but I had no idea how hard I was actually going to make it on myself.

On Friday night my brother visited.  He lives on the other side of the country and we don't get to see each other very often so I was excited.  I called off work that day so we could hang out longer but he ended up not getting into town until late in the evening.  When he got to my house we exchanged Christmas gifts and he got me a bottle of Jagermeister!  I immediately began drinking it.  This was a big mistake.  I hadn't really eaten anything that night and I drank about 4 shots in 30 minutes.  I got pretty shitfaced.  We crashed my wife's (all female) book club because it seemed like the right thing to do.  I don't really remember anything else that happened that night because I got too drunk.  I was told by my wife that I was very handsy with all the girls and my brother informed me that I puked several times in my friend's yard.  Hopefully I wasn't a complete embarrassment.  My wife didn't seem too disappointed in me so I'm guessing I wasn't a horrible person.  She actually told me I was charming at the beginning of the night.   

I am going to try to not be such an awful drunk.  My brother told me he doesn't think I should ever drink Jagermeister again.  Might be good advice. 

I woke up and still felt drunk and sick.  I had a gig that was about two and a half hours away.  I tried everything to get over my drunken hangover but nothing worked.  It was about 4:30pm before I actually started to feel better.  The place we were playing had this awesome cheesy tortellini soup and I think that officially cured me of my hangover.  By the time we had to start playing I felt pretty freaking great. 

Today I donated $5 to the Rails-To-Trails Convervancy.  They are group dedicated to rebuilding old abandoned railroad lines into bicycle and foot trails.  They are an awesome non profit and one that I have benefited from first hand in my community.  There are many trails that I run in my hometown that are former old railroad tracks.  So I was immediately drawn to this group.  I have written letters to congressmen in the past but I have never donated before.  I thought today was a perfect day to do it.  If you want to check out Rails to Trails projects in your home state or more of what their mission is check out their website:

Rails To Trails

This might seem like a less important donation but it is an organization that I have benefited from first hand.  If a community can beautify itself, eliminate waste, and encourage physical exercise through ripping up an abandoned railroad track and paving a bicycle track then why not? 

Money spent so far: $75.63

No comments:

Post a Comment