Saturday, January 19, 2013

01/18/13 - Day 24 - Change.org (free)

This update is a day late!  Oh no.  This is the first time I have updated a day late and I feel like I really screwed up.  I don't even have a really good excuse.  Suck.  I did my Anonymous Kindness Attack really early in the morning yesterday and I think that might have thrown me off since I usually do them in the afternoon.  

Also, it's going to be harder in the coming week to stay regularly updated because I will be outside of the country.  My wife and I are traveling to Jamaica for a week and I don't know how the internet access will be at the resort where we are staying.  We'll see.  If I can't update from the resort I'm going to be keeping an old school journal and chronicling my acts of kindness.  I'll update them when I come back. 

Today I signed three different petitions at the website change.org.  I didn't really know much about this website but my first impression is that it is a kickstarter style site but instead of trying to collect money for an artistic project it's signatures on petitions for a serious issue.  I don't know how these petitions get sent or if they carry any real power or clout but I hope they do.  Here are the three that I signed:

FDA Approve Tafamidis
This is really heartbreaking and a position in which I hope I never find myself or any of my loved ones.  A man has a disease and knows of a medicine available outside of the United States that will cure him.  He has neither the ability or money to get this medicine shipped in from outside the US.  The FDA needs to approve the medicine so that it maybe covered under insurance and administered in the US.   

TMZ Remove a Murder Video
TMZ is a real piece of shit.  I think everyone already knows that.  However they have reached a new level of shittiness.  They put a video of a young man being shot to death outside of a nightclub on their website and the family of the victim is trying to get them to pull it down.

Chinese Leader Release Liu Xiaobo
This one really pissed me off.  Liu Xiaobo is a writer and peace activist for democratic reform and basic human rights in China.  He is a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize but he and his wife have been imprisoned by his own government without due process.  The Chinese government held a trial but didn't allow any outside press to attend.  This petition is authored by Desmond Tutu so hopefully that may hold a little extra influence on the Chinese government. 

You could probably spend all day on this website signing petitions.  I only signed these three but I plan on going back and trying to read more.  I get a little too emotionally invested in the issues.  Some of the things people are going through are not easy to read. 

Money spent so far:  $83.08


 

No comments:

Post a Comment