Wednesday, January 2, 2013

01/02/13 - Day 8 - Care Package for Soldier

I think some planning is in order for this project.  Because today I broke the bank, nearly tripling my total money spent in one day.  I have to plan my shit out at least a week in advance so I can budget.  Now is not the time to be spending money I don't have, even if it is on anonymous attacks of kindness.

Before I get to what I spent my money on I have noticed something about myself in that past week.  I have been keenly aware of how nice or not nice I am being to strangers.  I am trying to smile more, be more approachable, and seeking to be more kind in general to the people I see in my every day life.  It seems stupid of me to think that this wouldn't affect my every day actions but I really thought outside of the isolated acts that I had planned that it would not.  It's a good thing I think.  Although I had certainly perfected a sort of grumpy intimidation face.  Hopefully I can adjust that into a more friendly, "kill them with kindness" level of intimidation.  Not sure. 

Today I decided to send a care package to a random soldier serving in Afghanistan.  I did this through AnySoldier.com.  The website was up to date and easy to navigate and they had a lot of awesome letters and pictures from soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines that had received care packages.  They also had letters from the soldiers stating what they would like to receive in a care package.  I settled on one that was for a whole section (11 individuals) of airmen and women.  I sent snacks (peanuts, almonds, beef jerky, dried fruit), reading material (magazines and comic books) and deodorant.  I know this doesn't sound like much but it was still pretty expensive for me.  Also I was trying to cater to both the men and the women and what they would like to get from home.  I put a women's health magazine and some women's deodorant but those were the only things exclusively female.  Of course everyone can enjoy the food.  I also enclosed a little thank you note thanking them for their service. 

I am a former Army Reserve soldier but I have never been deployed.  The most time I ever spent away from home was during my BCT/AIT at Ft. Jackson.  I know it has to be hard to be away for that long.  I hope these care packages can bring them a little comfort or take them away from where they are and transport them back home if even for a few minutes.  I know when I was at BCT anything from home (newspaper clippings, pictures, letters) was a relief.  Just to know that life was going on outside of that little place I had been living for the last 3 months.  I imagine that is only magnified knowing that you are separated from home by an ocean.  Oh and you live in a fucking war zone. 

I am ashamed it has taken me this long to send a care package.  I'm happy I did it, even if I did spend too much money. 

Money spent so far:  $55.43

No comments:

Post a Comment