Wednesday, January 16, 2013

01/16/13 - Day 22 - Post Pals (almost free)

Today was a weird day.  A lot of things happened that would normally stress me out and make me really angry.  Actually I did get pretty pissed off.  But I worked through it better than before.  I'm not sure if this is because I am trying to be a nicer person or if it's because I have a better attitude in general or if it's because I have changed my diet and exercise routine.  I was able to actually take a step back and look at the amount of pure bull shit that happened today and say "Fuck It.  Not worth my time."  Sometimes that is the best you can do.  It certainly felt good. 

I have determined that I now need a new printer.  A couple days ago it was my monitor and now it's my printer.  Blegh.

My anonymous kindness attack today was a letter sent through Post Pals.  This is a website that allows people to send letters and emails to sick kids.  Here is the web address:

Post Pals

It's an organization in the United Kingdom that is dedicated to helping sick kids.  Here's a part of their mission statement I lifted directly from their website:

"Post Pals is a small charity run solely by volunteers who are dedicated to making seriously ill children and their siblings smile by the sending of cards, letters, little gifts, support and friendship."

You can't argue with that mission statement can you?  Awesome.  I couldn't find an organization like this in the US but I'm going to keep looking.  I'm thinking there must be one out there. 

The child I chose was suffering from Noonan's Syndrome.  I didn't know much about it but the parents give constant updates on the child's development and make it clear how the child is doing.  The child I sent a letter to has a learning disability and has aged 12 years but is closer to a 5 year old in mental and emotional development.  I wasn't sure what to write in the card but the website gives you a lot of ideas and tells you the child's interests.  The child I chose likes dogs and cats and policemen and indians and trucks and horses and cows and farms.  I like all those things too.  So it wasn't that hard.  I put some pictures of my dogs and Batman and Robin and I drew a picture of some trucks.  I hope he likes it.  I think he will. 

In other news...going to do a work-shadow day at the Animal Protective League tomorrow!  Pretty pumped.

Money spent so far:  $83.08

No comments:

Post a Comment