Sunday, January 6, 2013

01/06/13 - Day 12 - Human rights watch and thank you cards (free)

This was a bit of a recovery day.  I had a super intense birthday party last night and some of the intensity from the party carried over to this morning in the form of a hangover.  Any night where an arm wrestling contest leads to a leg wrestling contest is definitely a good one.  I didn't win either of those contests by the way.  I don't have the type of friends that will let you defeat them in a contest of strength just because it's your birthday.  Honestly I wouldn't want it any other way. 

I decided today to send an email to the president.  I sent this email through the website Human Rights Watch.  I am not really a person that has typically been involved in "causes."  So when I first logged on to the website I wasn't expecting to be instantly moved to action.  I was wrong.  There are so many issues where the United States is woefully behind the times.  Even America's own stated objectives from the past get ignored or forgotten.  Then we are in a situation like what has happened with the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty.  If you want to read more about it the website is here:

US Ban Landmines

You don't have to dig very deep into this issue to see it for what it is.  An uncomplicated lapse of action towards a stated objective.

I don't really know if my email is going to spur the president to action.  I doubt very much that the president reads his emails.  If he did he wouldn't get anything else done.  It sort of seems like a sending a message in a bottle.  But if enough people send out enough messages eventually one of them may be answered.  Doing something is always better than doing nothing. 

There is only one part to this anonymous attack of kindness that I felt a little weird about:  the Human Rights Watch website trying to make me an evangelist for their cause.  "Send an email to your friends about this issue."  It makes sense why they would want to do this.  They have someone that just sent an email to the president and this person should also be willing to tell their friends about it.  I just don't want my friends to automatically delete my emails.  Does this make me an asshole?  Maybe.

Today was also another day for writing thank you notes to everyone that gave me a birthday present.  I know my friends and family are going to think I am making up for lost time or something.  I can honestly say that I have never sent thank you cards to people for my birthday.  I'm not sure if it's even something that is expected.  I had some downtime during commercial breaks watching the Ravens destroy my Colts.  I hope I didn't let my disappointment with the outcome of the game shine through on the cards. 

Money spent so far: $66.89

No comments:

Post a Comment