Tuesday, January 1, 2013

01/01/13 - Day 7 - Designated Driver and Installing Printers (free)

It's now 2013!  Woohoo!  I had the day off today for the holiday.  Awesome!  I predict this is the first and last time I will have completed my random act of kindness this early in the day.  It was so early it was in the previous night which was new year's eve.  I actually was the designated driver for three different people (my wife and her friend and a buddy of mine.)  So there was no drinking for me for new year's eve last night.  I knew there wouldn't really be any drinking for me anyway because my band had a gig that night and there is rarely ever any drinking for me while I'm singing.  Regardless I did have quite a few chances to drink free booze and I rarely turn that down.  I knew the cops would be out in full force so I decided to not even have one drop.  It sucked at the end of the night when people were still hanging around and buying me Jagerbombs and having to refuse.  Being a designated driver really sucks ass.  You basically get to babysit your drunk friends all night.  Listening to drunk people all night is only fun if you're drunk.  Then you drive them all home and hope they don't puke in your car.

I knew that getting my act of kindness completed so early in the morning of the previous night would leave me open for the whole day (no work) without anything to do.  Something did come up.  My mother-in-law had called me the previous day asking for some help with a printer.  I have become her official computer guy.  I don't know how I earned this distinction (my wife knows as much and probably more than I do about computers) but it was a duty I tried to take seriously. 

She messaged me on facebook just as I was getting home from a run asking me if I had received her voicemail from the previous day.  I knew a facebook message was the signal that shit had gotten serious and she needed that printer working right away.  I went ahead and installed her printer software and loaded ink cartridges and loaned usb cables.  Victory!  Two kindness attacks for the day!

Obligatory Admission:  Neither of these were anonymous.  Bummer.  However, I was taking care of family and friends and ringing in the new year in a good way.  Still counts.

Money spent so far:  $19.87

No comments:

Post a Comment