Wednesday, January 9, 2013

01/09/13 - Day 15 - Wrote my Great Grandmother (almost free)

Today I was trying to discover a new pen pal.  I wanted to write to someone that I thought would really appreciate it.  It was surprisingly hard to come by a legit pen pal website.  With the internet and open communication across the entire world in literal seconds I'm sure has become much less popular.  I discovered pen pals with an inmate also.  This is a whole underground sex fetish.  They try to dress it up as something else but the websites pretty much speak for themselves.

One of the websites I came across suggested that someone in your family would probably be your best first place to look.  I decided to write to my great grandmother.  She is in a retirement community in another state and I don't get to see her that often.  She didn't even make it to Christmas this year and that was in the same state she lives in.  My grandmother (her daughter) informs the family that she is happy there but I still think it would be weird to be the matriarch of whole family and then outlive all the people that created that family with you.  All the sisters and brothers and in laws.  Her husband.  I don't know how old my great grandmother is but my guess is around 90.  Speaking to her is hard because she is has hearing problems.  It makes her seem slow or forgetful but I think she geniunely just doesn't hear most of what people say and then she tries to fill in the blank spots by reading lips.  Unfortunately her eyes are not the greatest either.  Hopefully my letter will be a simple way to communicate and brighten her day. 

I would really like to correspond with her more frequently but I know she does have arthritis and writing might not be the easiest way to communicate either.  We'll see if she writes back.  I would like to know more about my great grandfather because he was a truely colorful character. 

Why do people keep secrets about deceased people?  Maybe it's not on purpose.  Maybe they just don't want to bring it up.  Maybe they think nobody would be interested.  Maybe they think it would dishonor the memory of a lost loved one. 

I think about my deceased friends and family all the time and when I remember a story, good or bad, funny or sad, whatever, I fucking tell that story.  Because maybe somebody needed to hear it.  To see another little snapshot of that person that they didn't get to see because that person is gone now.  I'm going to try to get to know my great grandmother a little better even if only through being a one sided pen pal. 

Money spent so far:  $69.34  (only 45 cents for a stamp)

No comments:

Post a Comment