Saturday, January 26, 2013

01/21/13 - Day 27 - Burger King Haven House

Update as promised:

Today we had to take off super super early.  My wife didn't go to sleep.  I tried to go sleep pretty early and didn't do a very good job.  She woke me up at 3am and it sucked.  I whined like a little bitch.  I got up and we got our stuff in the car.  On our way to Jamaica! 

On the way to the airport we stopped by Burger King.  We haven't eaten any garbage food for a while so the cheesy tots weren't as appetizing as I remember them being.  They were really tasty at first and then super nasty shortly thereafter.  I have no preconceived plan for the next four days so I am looking for truly random acts of random kindness and I discovered mine for today at 3:30am in the morning at Burger King.  It is Haven House.  I didn't donate a lot (two bucks and some change) but I was still impressed with the mission.  Haven House helps out families that travel to the city for medical procedures.  To find our more or donate to the organization check this out:

Haven House

We got to our layover at an airport we'd never been too and my wife kept talking about how she hopes they have Pinkberry.  She couldn't stop talking about it.  I was pretty sure they wouldn't have it though I didn't say so.  We don't have it in our hometown and I really thought it was just a west coast thing.  In fact they did have a Pinkberry and it happened to be right on the way to our gate.  It seemed like a miracle.

I ordered chips and a drink from a nearby snack stand just adjacent to Pinkberry.  The girl at the checkout stand was named Quita.  Pronounced "Koo-wee-tah" and not like somebody who quits things.  She was super nice and I complimented her interesting name. 

My wife tried to eat one of my potato chips without knowing they were salt and vinegar.  She spat it out like a little kid.  Pretty hilarious. 

On the plane ride to Jamaica I met this super rich dude named Geoffrey.  He said he had been to Jamaica a bunch of times and usually stayed in Negril.  He is a retired salesman of scrap metal.  He loves to smoke weed and doesn't really have to work anymore.  He loves to work out.  He knows people who live in Negril and they supply him with weed and rides to and from the airport.  He says the people of Negril are the most laidback people on the whole island.  He usually stays for two weeks at a time.  He has a girlfriend, two daughters, two ex-wives.  He congratulates me on making it past five years in my marraige and says both of his marraiges only lasted five years.  He says he sometimes meets women down in Jamiaca and they hook up and it's not really a big deal.  His girlfriend can't come with him because she has been sick.  He was an interesting and eccentric dude.  I did really enjoy listening to him and he gave me a lot of info about the island I didn't know before. 

Our resort isn't the worst and it isn't the nicest.  The food here is awesome so far.  The people are really nice and they move quite a big slower than people in America.  Everybody needs tips for everything.  Everyone wants to be tipped.  If you are white in Jamaica you are a tourist and tourism is the #1 industry in Jamaica.  I wish I could tip everyone but I don't have enough money.  People are still super nice.  When I don't tip I feel like a real douchebag, but I'll probably get over that by the end of this trip. 

Money spent so far:  $85.65 

No comments:

Post a Comment