Saturday, January 5, 2013

01/05/13 - Day 11 - Sparked on my birthday (free)

Today is my birthday.  I am now 31 years old.  I plan on getting pretty drunk tonight.  When my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday I said "Jagerbombs, vegetarian chili and cornbread, and friends over to play board games."  So that's what we're going to do tonight.  Pretty awesome.  We asked people not to bring their kids so everyone could get drunk and not leave super early.  I didn't tell people not to give me presents because I always think that's sort of a weird rule.  I honestly don't expect anyone to get me anything but I also don't want anyone to feel like to give me a gift they would have to do so against my wishes.  Hopefully everyone will have fun.  I'm going to try to pace myself and not be drunk in the first five minutes and then ready to pass out after an hour.

I sparked today.  Sparked.com is a website that offers companies, mostly start ups, independents, and nonprofits, a place to get feed back and help.  They bill themselves as social business solutions.  It's a pretty cool website.  I was interested in what they call "micro-volunteering."  Businesses (again mostly charities) post tasks they would like completed.  They encompass a vast range of things but the website narrows it down for you when you build your profile. 

When you first log on to create your profile it asks you to choose "which causes really get your fired up?"  This isn't easy.  I chose animals, poverty, youth, arts, food, and the environment.  Then it asks you "what skills do you have to offer?"  Hmmmm....even harder.  I chose a bunch of things they had listed but my favorite was "brainstorming."  I love brainstorming and when I started looking at all of the tasks people needed help with I was pumped. 

The tasks can be somewhat involved so I just chose to complete one.  I went with someone looking for ideas for a "like drive" for their facebook page.  The organization is called GatherWell and they are trying to help people, through education and different ongoing projects, to live greener lives.  Here is the organization's website:

GatherWell

And their facebook page:  (like them!)

GatherWell on Facebook

After I read what I wrote I was actually pretty impressed with my ability to brainstorm.  Maybe not all of my solutions are going to work but it may generate some even better ideas.  Unfortunately my email couldn't be verified on Sparked.com for some reason.  (I think it's a problem with my email's spam filter or something.)  I just ended up sending it to them over facebook and I got a reply back right away thanking me for my suggestions. 

Good stuff! 

Money spent so far:  $66.89

No comments:

Post a Comment