Wednesday, February 27, 2013

02/26/13 - Day 63 - Joined Not For Sale Campaign (free)

I have been in a funk for the past few days because I have been reading the book I purchased by David Batstone called Not For Sale.  It is a tough read.  The subject matter just really sticks with you and I tend to dwell on things for too long.  The tagline is "The return of the global slave trade - and how we can fight it."  The book is tells a lot of stories of slaves across the globe and how insidious human trafficking has become. 

It's tough for me to contemplate this level of evil.  To look at a child or a young woman and not be able to feel any level of empathy or compassion means you are at best a sociopath and at worst just pure fucking evil.  This book is sort of a scratching of the surface on this issue.  It offers some different ways to fight the problem that I would like to investigate further, however I definitely need to know more about what type of organizations I may get involved with in my own community. 

I did join the Not For Sale Campaign which means I get constant updates from their headquarters on upcoming events, fundraisers, petitions to push for legal actions, and other cool stuff.  This issue just kills me.  With the 150 year anniversary of the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation this seems like a perfect time to renew a passion for eliminating slavery once and for all.


Money spent so far:  $247.54

No comments:

Post a Comment