Friday, March 1, 2013

02/27/13 - Day 64 - Donated to NFS

Super busy week.  I've been working super hard and staying super busy.  Too tired to even think.  I need to get out a do some leg work on my anonymous kindness attacks.  It's been a little too much trying to good from my computer at home lately.  I am going to be doing something on Friday for sure.

I donated to the Not For Sale Movement.  They fight human trafficking and are a pretty good introductory organization for me to get involved.  They have a number of different platforms that I want to try and work with in the future. 

1.  Slaverymap.  A map of the places slavery have been documented and eliminated. 

2.  Free2work.  An agency that lobbies corporations to eliminate the links on their supply chain where slavery could happen. 

3.  The Not For Sale Academy.  A learning course to offer experiential programs on helping to end slavery in your community.

4.  Justice League.  An agency to help with educate and deal with the law enforcement community and their part in helping to end slavery.

5.  Abolitionist Faith Communities.  Getting local religious organizations to participate in the fight to end slavery.

6.  Free2Play.  Fundraisers through youth sports leagues to raise money for the Not For Sale organization.

7.  The Freedom Store.  An online shopping wing of Not For Sale featuring products made by former slaves with all proceeds going to benefit them. 

As you can see there are a lot of different avenues to take action.  Some more time and money intensive than others.  I am going to try to contribute to the fight as much as I can.  This book really shook me up and I think everyone should read it.  It really changed my perspective on the current situation in America.  There are so many faceless enemies.  Welfare and food stamp recipients, the impoverished, illegal immigrants, etc.  They get blamed for things because they are faceless and powerless.  You have to take every case on an individual basis.  Some could be victims of domestic violence.  Some could be victims of the international slave trade.  It is worth taking a minute and thinking about it. 

Money spent so far:  $252.54

No comments:

Post a Comment