Tuesday, February 26, 2013

02/25/13 - Day 62 - Badrap.org

It was wet and nasty today.  Tomorrow promises to be more of the same.  Today I had to be out in it walking dogs. 

As I have mentioned, I work with dogs at my new job at the Animal Protective League.  At any given times we have a pretty large number of pitbulls or dogs that look like pitbulls.  There is a huge number of breeds that get mislabeled as pitbulls because many of the breeds look similar.  The pitbulls and pit mixed breed dogs that we have are almost always nice and sweet but they get passed over because of their breed.  We actually had a woman adopt a dog and then bring it back two months later not because of anything that the dog had done but because one of her friends suggested that her dog looked like a pitbull.  It's frustrating getting to know these dogs and then having someone dismiss them just because of a misconception.  I wouldn't want someone adopting a dog that they were afraid of, it just makes me sad that people have that idea of pitbulls. 

I sought out a website that deals with this pitbull bias and came across badrap.org.  Their tagline is "Securing the future of the American Pitbull Terrier as a cherished family companion."  My anonymous kindness attack was to buy a book off their website called The Lost Dogs.  It's the story of the pitbulls from Michael Vick's compound and their rehabilitation. 

This anonymous kindness attack is more for the animal shelter that I work at and the pitbulls that I work with so I can better understand how to care for and talk about them.  There are tons of training tips and helpful pamphlets for the animal shelter worker on this website as well.  I hope that through my continued research I can help find these lovable and misunderstood dogs good homes.

Money spent so far:  $247.54

No comments:

Post a Comment