Saturday, February 23, 2013

02/23/13 - Day 60 - Customer Survey (free)

I had the day off work today and really had nothing to do.  It's been a while since I had a day like that and I didn't know what to do with myself.  My wife was gone most of the day also so that made it extra weird.  I decided I would try to catch up on some reading. 

I bought a book about a week ago called "Not For Sale."  It is about modern day slavery and tells some pretty gruesome and sad stories about the victims of slavery.  It also tells some tales of the heroes of the modern day abolitionist movement but the stories that really stick with me are the tales of the slaves.  I have read through the chapters about Thailand, India, and Uganda and I had to take a break.  This stuff is really dark.  The author explains how these countries have the type of environment (poverty, over population, weak government, etc.) where slavery is more likely to happen.  I still have trouble contemplating evil on this level. 

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those that do harm,
but because of those who look at it and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein


I guess the real problem has been people like me.  It's nearly impossible to go through your adult life and not hear about horrible shit like human trafficking.  But what change will happen if good people do nothing?  I obviously am still learning about this issue but I want to do something. 

So in what now seems like a completely meaningless act of kindness for the day...
...I filled out on of those surveys that they give you on the bottom of receipts.  I went to Papa Murphy's Pizza and just wanted to give the people that work there some positive feedback.  I remember hearing in a meeting at my former workplace about how most people are far more likely to tell a friend or fill out a customer survey about a negative experience as opposed to a positive one.  I wanted to be that small percentage of people that actually tells someone when they've done a good job.  If you haven't tried Papa Murphy's Gourmet Veggie pizza you are missing out.  Awesome stuff. 

Money spent so far:  $241.55

No comments:

Post a Comment