Sunday, February 10, 2013

02/10/13 - Day 47 - Ban Tiger Trade Petition (free)

I had to work at my other part time job today and it wasn't very fun.  I am better at dealing with disgruntled dogs (at my full time job) than with just regularly gruntled people.  I think maybe I'm in a lethargic mood because my diet and exercise routine has been particularly shitty lately.  I'm gonna have to figure that out soon because I have less than a week to prepare for the Fight For Air Climb.  I actually had signed up (and paid for) a half marathon that took place yesterday.  But there was no way I was physically or financially prepared to participate.  So I need to step it up. 

While at my part time job I get astoundingly bored.  It's not that there isn't anything to do.  It's just that there isn't any real rush to do it.  That and my motivation today was at an all time low.  Not my attitude really just my motivation.  So I was going back and forth between facebook and reddit.  Something I saw on reddit got me really fired up.  Apparently certain Chinese farmers actually farm tigers.  China does have restrictions on killing a tiger for profit but you can use parts of a tiger if it has died from natural causes.  So these "farmers" are raising tigers and then starving them to death because that is considered "natural."  It fucking disgusted me.  Here is a link to the petition:

Ban Tiger Trade

So what's the real difference, morality wise, between a chicken and and a tiger?  It has to be rarity right?  Tigers are rare and the idea that a giant jungle cat would be stuck in captivity and tortured through starvation to have it's bones ground up for expensive and exotic wines and medicines is pretty offensive to most people.  Far worse things happen to chickens in industrial farms and it's not nearly as offensive.  At least not to most Americans.  I know it certainly wasn't to me.  It probably still isn't.  I really became a vegetarian for the health benefits.  Animal rights were really an afterthought.  My not eating meat probably doesn't move the needle for the big meat manufacturers anyway.  But I'm glad I don't. 

Like I said earlier, I think I like animals (even the ones that don't like me) better than I like most people. 

Money spent so far:  $202.09

No comments:

Post a Comment