Wednesday, February 6, 2013

02/05/13 - Day 42 - Covered a friend's shift (free)

My second day at the Animal Protective League was a little bit more exciting.  The typical job was actually very chilled out.  There are a relatively low number of dogs housed in the kennel and there were actually three people working in that section of the shelter so things really moved along rather smoothly.  We did get a call to pick up an animal that had been hit by a car.  I really didn't know this was something that the APL typically did.  Kyle (my trainer) informed that it really isn't a normal part of the job but that it does happen every now and then. 

I had myself mentally prepared for a gruesome scene but when we got to the location we saw a fully grown and very healthy looking dog in the middle of the road.  He actually lived nearby and had escaped his enclosure.  If he had been hit by a car he wasn't showing any signs of harm.  He went back to his home and we spoke to his owners about making sure that he was secure and not roaming the street. 

Also this was only my second day and I was treated to free cake.  So far so good. 

I also work part time at the radio station here in town.  I only have my shift on the weekends but I got a call from a friend of mine that works at the radio asking me to cover her 6pm to midnight shifts for the next two days.  I will still be getting paid for it so it's not a completely selfless act but I did still consider it an act of kindess.  I know what this person has been going through. 

Changes in her position at the radio station forced her to accept a new job in television broadcasting.  She has been trying to balance her schedule between her radio and television jobs and she was overwhelmed.  It was clear by covering her shifts for the next two nights I would be giving her some much needed time off.

I truly enjoy spending time on the radio and getting to listen to and talk about music.  The job doesn't really pay that much but I always leave after a shift with a smile on my face.  That is true for both my radio and animal care jobs.  It's pretty sweet.

Money spent so far:  $162.09

No comments:

Post a Comment