Sunday, February 10, 2013

02/09/13 - Day 46 - Stray Dog Overtime (free)

Saturday is usually a busy day at the Animal Protective League and this was my first one.  It was really like any other day except that at around noon every crazy person in the world comes out in search of their dog.  This was the first day where there were people visiting the dogs that I wouldn't feel comfortable approving for an adoption.  As a caregiver for the dogs I also have to size up the people who want to adopt these dogs.  Most people are great but some people...

My position is also responsible for caring for the dogs that are in the clinic.  These are dogs that for various medical reasons aren't currently adoptable.  Inevitably when a potential adopter comes to look at dogs they will see me walking one of these unadoptable dogs and completely fall in love with them.  I usually have to explain the situation to them four times before it sinks in that they can't adopt the dog at this time.  It's sad seeing that recognition cross their face. 

I was pretty much done for the day.  We had actually gotten everything done a little bit earlier than usual.  As I was about to clock out two guys who were on their way south for a huge Mardi Gras party stopped in with a stray basset hound.  This dog looked a little underweight and smelled pretty bad but getting into stuff that smells bad is one of the perks of being a stray dog.  The guys said he was running across the highway and they had rescued him.  They called around and people had suggested they bring him to us.

These guys were actually the real do-gooders in this story.  All I did was accept the stray and set him up with a bed and a water bowl a little bit after my scheduled time off.  He seemed very sweet like he was somebody's dog at some point.  I hope that somebody comes to claim him in the next few days.  If not (and if there are no serious health issues) I'm sure that we will have no problem finding him an owner. 

In other news, my wife and I watched "What About Bob?" last night.  That movie is freaking great.  I must have watched it 100 times when I was a little kid.  I still think it is funny.  Why isn't Richard Dreyfuss in more stuff?  That dude is freaking great. 

Money spent so far:  $202.09

No comments:

Post a Comment