Wednesday, March 6, 2013

03/05/13 - Day 70 - Smiletrain.org (free)

I had the day off today and didn't even know what to do.  It was a lazy day.  Didn't work out, didn't clean up.  I did watch Wreck It Ralph.  So yeah...pretty lazy. 

I also investigated a website that had popped up on a number of different "good deeds" websites that I frequent.  It's called Smiletrain.  It's an organization this is dedicating to providing surgeries for children born with cleft lips and palates.  The surgeries they perform are mostly in poorer countries and cities.  Either the local community lacks the proper medical facilities to complete the surgery or the family lacks the money to pay for it.  In certain countries children that are born with a cleft lip or palate are considered cursed and are shunned by their families and communities. 

Offering these surgeries free of charge saves these children from a lifetime of ridicule and health problems.  Unfortunately I didn't have enough money to donate to the cause right now but I did apply to have some free material sent to me from the website.  Go here and you can get a free dvd documentary that shows the story of a girl that received a surgery from the organization:

Order Smile Pinki

I also used my facebook status and twitter account to promote the organization and hopefully inspire some other friends to check out the organization. 

My book "The Lost Dogs" came today also.  It's about the dogs that were seized from Michael Vick's dog fighting ring.  So far it is pretty heartbreaking.  :(  Hopefully the happy part comes soon...


Money spent so far:  $298.54

No comments:

Post a Comment