Friday, March 22, 2013

03/20/13 - Day 85 - Conversation (free)

My wife and I went to eat at Cracker Barrel for breakfast this morning.  There was an older woman sitting alone and she struck up a conversation with us.  She was super sweet and really funny. 

I was singing some stupid song to my wife and she commented to my wife that it must be nice being serenaded over breakfast.  We laughed awkwardly.  She told us that she too was a singer and sang on some stages with some pretty big country acts.  Her name was Phyllis.

Our normal response, right or wrong, is usually to ignore people who infiltrate our conversation but I made a real effort not to do this.  She was an elderly woman sitting alone.  She was really sweet to the server and very nice to my wife and I. 

I asked the server after she had left if she knew her.  She told us her name and that she was suffering from cancer.  She said she didn't know her really well but that the manager did.  I am going to go back and give the manager a gift card to give to this woman. 

I regret not taking the time right then and there to get more information from her.  The whole exchange was quick and in the middle of a busy restaurant so it didn't occur to me until I had already left to offer a gift card.

Money spent so far:  $336.98

No comments:

Post a Comment