Thursday, December 27, 2012

12/26/12 - Day 1 - Drive Thru Challenge, Bonus Bike Pickup

My first day trying to purposefully do something good.  But what should I do?  I really had no idea.
It shouldn't be that hard for a normal human being to think of something nice to do, but it wasn't easy for me. 

I settled on buying a random person in line behind me at Target something.  There were a few details worth mentioning about this decision.  I was going to Target anyway to return a video game I had been given for Christmas.  I was going to exchange it for the exact same game on a different system so I figured it would be the same price.  There turned out to be a $20 difference in my favor.  This extra $20 was given to me on a gift card.  So really the money was actually a bonus from the person who gave me the gift.  The gift card money was technically mine but not really.  This made giving it away a little easier.  I decided I wanted to do it anonymously.  People like to refuse help but if I just gave it to the cashier and told them to put it on the next person's purchase they wouldn't have a choice but to accept.  Then I ran into my own trust issues.  How did I know the cashier wouldn't just pocket my gift card as I walked away?  If I wanted to keep this whole thing anonymous I wouldn't be sticking around to watch the transaction happen.  So how would I know the transaction actually happened?  This was enough to keep my from using the gift card.  I just bought fabric softener and light bulbs and stuff I needed for the house with it.

Walking out of Target I felt pretty freaking dumb.  I still liked the idea though so I thought the McDonald's drive thru would be the perfect solution.  That way I could have a receipt and the person behind me in the drive thru wouldn't know I'd done it until I was gone.  I got a pop and paid for the person behind me.  My total was a 1.49, theirs was 3.87.  I drove away.  I did it!  Something nice.  Big let down.  I think the problem is that I don't eat McDonald's anymore and I think they have shitty food that isn't good for you.  I just helped somebody eat it for free.  Maybe that was the problem.  Or maybe I'm just new at this.

It was super windy today and as I was driving downtown I noticed in the Walgreen's parking lot a bicycle laid out in the middle of their entry way.  I pulled into the parking lot thinking "Bonus good deed!  On the first day!  Nice!"  As I got closer to the bike I noticed it was covered in stuff, like lights, bells and whistles, and decorations.  A huge antenna rose from the back of the bike adorned with an American flag.  There was a basket on the back and all the stuff inside of it was strewn across the sidewalk and parking lot.  It looked like a homeless person had upgraded from a shopping cart to a bicycle.  I picked everything up and put it back on the kickstand next to the Walgreen's entry way.  The wind very easily could have blown it down again.  I tried to prop it up as best I could.  The people inside Walgreen's could see me but I felt like they were more just watching me to see if was going to try to steal the bike.  After I knew the bike was going to remain in it's position and before I drew anymore attention from the Walgreen's staff I got out of there. 

Pretty good first day.   

Money spent so far: $3.87
 

No comments:

Post a Comment